Colonial Camper’s Corner: Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Filled with chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts and carrots, these lettuce wraps are both healthy and yummy. The ginger root, rice wine vinegar and teriyaki sauce give them delicious Asian flair.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup julienned green onions
- 12 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 3 minutes; drain. Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts and ginger; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and remaining oil. Stir in the carrots, onions and chicken mixture.
- Spoon onto lettuce leaves; sprinkle with almonds. If desired, fold sides of lettuce over filling and roll up.
2 each: 230 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 278mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps in Light & Tasty April/May 2006