Camping is one of the best ways to spend time together vacationing as a family. This Campfire French Toast is easy, low maintenance cooking, and will bring smiles to your little campers.
- 1 loaf of bread of choice
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 500g container of fresh strawberries
- Confectioners sugar (Icing Sugar)
- Syrup of choice
- Wash strawberries, dice half of the container and slice the other half.
- Wrap the loaf of bread in parchment paper, then in foil loosely so the bread slices fall slightly open.
- Sprinkle the diced strawberries over the loaf, taking care to sprinkle some between slices; set aside the sliced strawberries for afterwards.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds in the same way as the diced strawberries over the loaf.
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon until frothy. Wrap the foil and parchment paper tighter around the loaf of bread. Pour eggs evenly over the entire loaf of bread before wrapping tightly with a top piece of foil to ensure no leaks.
- Place over the campfire or grill on low to medium heat for approximately 40 minutes, moving around occasionally to cook evenly. If the bread looks soggy still, cook slightly longer.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 mins before serving with sugar, syrup and sliced strawberries.
Credit: Stacey Martin (This lil Piglet)