It’s not always easy to create home-made treats when you’re cooking on the go —whether you don’t have the space to store ingredients, or simply can’t take fancy cooking gear along for the trip. Here’s a simple recipe that can spruce up your 4th of July weekend celebrations.
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 8 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Oreo cookie chunks (14 chocolate cream-filled)
- 3/4 cup red, white, & blue M&M’s, divided
- 1/2 cup red, white, & blue sprinkles, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Set out cookie sheets.
- Mix together the cake mix, butter, egg, and vanilla until soft dough forms.
- Add the cream cheese and mix again.
- Stir in the cookie chunks, 1/2 cup M&M’s, and 1/4 cup of the sprinkles gently. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Roll into 24 even dough balls. Press the remaining M&M’s into the tops of the dough balls. Add extra sprinkles to the tops of the dough balls, if desired.
- Place the dough balls on the cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes, before moving them to a piece of parchment paper on the counter. Let the cookies cool completely, and then store in a tightly sealed container. Makes 24 cookies.